Skip to main content

A Simple Color Calibration Guide for Manjaro Linux


When I installed Manjaro Linux on my HP laptop, I noticed that the screen was more blueish than normal. This is a very simple guide on how to fix that in minimal steps.

1. First update your system with sudo pacman -Syyu

2. Download monica color calibration tool (which is basically a GUI front end for xgamma binary) with sudo pacman -S monica

3. Launch Monica from the start menu:



At first you will notice that the gamma of all colors are equal to 1. Then you will move the sliders until you can see the colors are balanced as shown. However, you will need a grey color as your reference first.

4. Download this image, or the silver coin of your country from images.google.com, increase your laptop brightness to maximum then start moving the sliders while looking at the silver coins. Your calibration is correct if the coins look as grey as they should, if there is a reddish, blueish, greenish or yellowish color cast, it means something is wrong.


In my case, the silver coins looked too blueish so I had to reduce the blue gamma slider until the coin looked properly grey.

5. After you finish calibration, you may need to adjust the gamma brightness, so how do you do that? By moving all the sliders with an equal number of points. So let's say blue is 70, red and green are 75, then to reduce or increase the gamma brightness you can make blue as 72 and green and red as 77, adding 2 points for each. You will do the brightness calibration based on the black box in Monica on the left. Once you can barely see the inner black box it means that you're good to go.

6. If for some reason you are still unsatisfied with the colors on your screen you can add a natural photo reference such as this one, and start moving the sliders with your common sense as to what seems normal. In my case, I used this photo to adjust the red color to make the monitor look more vibrant. But this may not be an accurate way.


7. After you are done with your calibrations on Monica, Save & Exit then open the terminal and write the following:

Make sure you are in home directory:
cd $HOME

Look into monica generated file:
cat .monicarc

It will display something like this:
xgamma -quiet -rgamma 0.88 -ggamma 0.85 -bgamma 0.72

Now
vi .profile 
OR
nano .profile

Then add the above line at the end of the .profile, save and exit. If you don't know how to use a text editor use the following command (replace the line in between quotations with your own .monicarc output).

echo "xgamma -quiet -rgamma 0.88 -ggamma 0.85 -bgamma 0.72" >>.profile

Adding this line to .profile will restore gamma settings at each startup, so that you don't have to calibrate every time you restart your computer.

I hope you enjoyed this guide, if you feel it added value feel free to tip:

ETH:
0x17cc8645b83dab26ff8fbef418b732ef95980013

BCH:
qqlucz5lllt2mww5m2vd3jfxgyedppahrvu3f698p5

LTC:
ltc1q0tmste84hwhpz2sx3y85vspjlx3rr76udq058q

Dogecoin:
D8Bd58hkhmt8pW5vF4JJfQHYifJYMXKqjd

Comments

  1. Thanks for writing this brother. You help me very much. I installed Manjaro yesterday and you have solved part of the problem. Do you know in some way how to increase saturation? The colors do not have "strength".

    In Windows 10 I have solved it with Intel HD Graphics, but here in Manjaro I can not find anything that can help me.

    I need something like Monica but Saturation.
    I use Manjaro Deepin.

    Thanks and sorry for my english.
    Thanks and sorry for my english.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you reduce the overall gamma on Monica it will do it. But I am not expert in Linux color calibration, sorry :) Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, monicarc is awesome but whenever I login I have a problem with "contacting dbus socket". I have to cancel two error requesters, then I can get to graphical interface. Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I am not an expert in linux system details, but I think if you put this question in Arch linux forums you'll definitely receive an answer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B1 June Pain Killer

Pill #1: The Source of  Disappointment Calm down, you are not disappointed by block.one #B1June event. You were just not paying attention that the orgasm happened when the social media platform (voice) news was leaked. How can any other announcement be as exciting after the orgasm? Pill #2: Universal Basic Income The second reason is the universal basic income that was discussed by Dan Larimer before in his articles, but not elaborated during the event. Although voice.com tokens are incentives for quality content sharing and earning from it, but marketing it as a total replacement for ordinary jobs is a bit of a stretch and it wouldn’t have been wise to do so. Which I think some people expected thinking *universal* basic income. Pill #3: The News Leak If Dan or Brendan leaked the social media platform before the event. I wouldn’t blame them much, because some crypto enthusiasts went too far with their imagination, anything that would have been announced during the event wo

Comfort Zone is the End of Self Development

While comfort zone maybe a way for steady income for a period of time, it's usually an end to self development and by the end of this article you'll have a proof why. Comfort zone means that the person has totally adapted interacting with the unique personally traits around, therefore there isn't new interpersonal challenges because s\he now knows how to deal with all of them to get the job done after many, many years of service. In my career I have met many kind of managers/owners with the personality traits that had an impact on me,  and I on them. Here I categorize them with the properties of the 4 elements, Fire, Water,  Air, Earth. The 2 elements mentioned are the dominant in them. Dominance of an element may indicate positive and negative traits of the same element. Water (Emotions) / Air (Intelligence): One of the great direct managers I worked with was emotionally intelligent. For new graduates this kind is perfect for them because he will be patient to te